A bodybuilder, injectable vitamins, renal injury and thirty kilos of muscles
Not that many bodybuilders that we know of use injectable vitamins that are actually meant for cattle. Thank God for that, we couldn't help thinking after reading an article that Peruvian doctors, associated with the Universidad Peruana Ciencias Aplicadas, have published in Nefrologia. Are you ready for some medical horror?
A 30 years old male bodybuilder went to the hospital because he had severe epigastric pain, was nauseous and was vomiting. He confessed he had been using anabolic steroids and injections with vitamins A and D for 4 years. Each month he had injected himself with a veterinary formulation, containing 2.1 million units of vitamin A, 60,000 units of vitamin D and 55 units of vitamin E.
In addition, the man also injected himself for two years with a cosmetic and muscle enlarging mineral oil.
In his blood the doctors found too much PTH and too much calcium, and on scans the doctors see that the kidneys are affected. They also discover kidney stones. The doctors suspect that especially the injected vitamin A, and perhaps also the vitamin D, has increased calcium levels, and that those levels made vital parts of the kidneys to calcify.
The bodybuilder's prolonged vomiting causes tears in his guts. These and other complications – the tears caused infections – make him stay in the hospital for two months. The doctors treat him with corticosteroids, furosemide and saline infusions until the his kidneys have recovered.
When the man is discharged from hospital, he has lost more than 30 kg.
"Clinicians need to be aware that anabolic steroids and multivitamin abuse can occur with relative frequency and their use can be surreptitious," the doctors write. "The simultaneous occurrence of nephrocalcinosis, nephrolithiasis, acute kidney injury and acute pancreatitis may be related to the diagnosis of associated chronic hypercalcemia."
Nefrologia. 2015 Nov-Dec;35(6):598-600.
Bodybuilder injected coconut oil into his arms 07.03.2017
Bodybuilder poisons himself with vitamin D injections 25.04.2015